Reading a good book, is like making a journey. Writing though, is like traveling in slow motion. You research, read, write, edit, select, learn, … And you think, daydream, visit places, follow a trace.
For me as a writer, to complete the stories I wanted to tell in my books, it was necessary to make several journeys. So, I made trips to Mexico, Guatemala, through Ecuador, Italy, Austria, Belgium, as well as my home country, the Netherlands.
The books I wrote so far
Until now I can call myself author of five nonfiction books. Four of them written in Dutch, one in Spanish.
Soon I will present my first book in English, a translation of a dramatic but also beautiful family history, … my own family.
In this blog-segment I will describe my Books so far. That is to say, I will describe 4 of the 5 books I produced as a writer. (The book in Spanish was a practical manual for the educational radio stations I worked for in Ecuador & Guatemala – see About me).
I will not only tell you what every book is about, but also a little about the reasons to write them. The process of writing the stories. What I had to do to complete them (like my travels). As well as some responses to the books.
To give you a first impression of my books, here are the complete titles. Followed also by an idea of what every book is about & availability.
Land en vrijheid
Elzen, Arthur van den, Land en vrijheid – Verslag van een reis door Mexico en Guatemala, 1994, 224p., self-published, Rosmalen, The Netherlands. ISBN 90 9008 468 1
- Travel book about a 3-month journey through the United States, Mexico, Guatemala & Honduras.
Written in Dutch, but no longer available.
Koningsdrama in Mexico
Elzen, Arthur van den, Koningsdrama in Mexico, 2010, 566p., Aspekt (Soesterberg, the Netherlands). ISBN 978 90 5911 925 3
- History of the short lived empire of Maximilian of Habsburg in Mexico (1864-1867) (Also including biographies of Maximilian and his wife, the Belgian princess Charlotte).
Written in Dutch. Available clicking on the book title, also as an eBook-edition.
De Aarde is niet rond
Elzen, Arthur van den, De Aarde is niet rond, 2014, 228p., Aspekt (Soesterberg, the Netherlands). ISBN 978 94 6153 543 6
- This book tells the story about the French scientific mission that traveled to Ecuador almost three hundred years ago, literally to “measure the Earth”.
Written in Dutch. Available clicking on the book title, and also through contacting me directly (Blog, Facebook, Instagram).
14 days in May / 14 dagen in mei
English edition (available as an eBook & Paperback):
Elzen, Arthur van den, 14 days in May – A farewell to my father, a man who should have died sixty years ago. A true story., 2020, ISBN 979-8647492548
Translated from the original Dutch edition (2014)
Elzen, Arthur van den, 14 dagen in mei, 2014, p.148, independently published, Rosmalen, the Netherlands). ISBN 978 90 8218 820 2
- This is a story about my father. How he miraculously survived a near fatal accident in military service (1951). As well as the essential role his fiancé played at the time, my future mother. A true story. A very personal family history, dramatic, but also an inspiring story about survival, faith, perseverance, and unconditional love …
In this blog you’ll find two posts that introduce the “14 days in May”-story to you:
- The first one is a post with Background information to the story, why I wrote the story, how, why I translated the story to English. There’s also included a short introduction video to the story.
- The second post is a “14 days in May” Photo-file I used to launch the English translation (2020). Published during a 14-day stretch in 15-28 May 2020. This post also included the introduction video.
For an overview of all travel posts of my blog, go to: the Home Page.
- Final message, for fellow travel writers & bloggers: TravelPayOuts is a global integrated affiliate program focused exclusively on travel offers. If it works for me, it will probably work for you too: TravelPayOuts.